Congratulations to everyone for another great race! Your 2019 post-race information is below.
- Check out your official race results here. The top three male and female winners in each division are highlighted.
- Click here to check out and purchase photos from the start/finish line, take by Christopher Nichols Photography.
- Help us continue to make this event even better! Click here to take the survey.
The Big Chill is a 5K | 10K | Half-Marathon, which takes place in Emporia, Kansas on the first Saturday of December. This annual event raises money to support our programming throughout the Communities In Schools of Mid-America network.
In 2018, we held our first Big Chill race. Since the, we have raised over $16,000 to support at-risk students.
Registration is currently closed for the 2019 event.
Communities In Schools of Mid-America is part of the nation's largest organization dedicated to keeping kids in school and helping them succeed. Last year, we provided support in over 50 schools, helping more than 35,000 young people and providing case-managed services to nearly 3,500 students. Below are a few of the students who we helped this past year:
- Darren* had issues with his behavior, often getting into fights and being sent to the Principal's office.
- Judy*, a fifth grader, was struggling with the grief of the death of her mother.
- Sara's* GPA was below a 1.0 and she felt hopeless to change it, let alone graduate.
- Joe* was sleeping on the floor as his family could not afford a bed.
- Kelly* and her brother were living in a homeless shelter with their parents.
- Noah's* mother was recently incarcerated, and he was struggling to focus in school because of this.
These are just a few of the challenges our students are facing, making it difficult for them to succeed. To help, we work closely with schools, social services, businesses and volunteers to get young people the things they need to learn and grow. Our proven model places Site Coordinators inside schools to mobilize resources in order to address both academic and non-academic barriers to learning.
Please join us by supporting The Big Chill. By becoming a sponsor, you are directly helping the students that we serve. All money raised from this event goes to support students throughout our network. From basic needs to direct services, your support keeps us in schools, so that we can do whatever it takes to help keep them in school.
*Names have been changed to protect student's identity.
Sponsorship Opportunities are currently closed for the 2019 event.
"I ran The Big Chill 10K and it is one of my favorite races! Well organized, good course, and a fun time. I'll definitely be doing this race again!"
- Carrie Poersch
"I really like the time of the year for this race since there aren't many races in the cold. Friendly people at the check in and I loved the swag! I also really loved the entertainment option for the kids at the Finish Line Party."
- Brittany Partridge
"How awesome to have a local 13.1 in our backyard. Sometimes runners feel left out since Emporia has a large biking community, well not anymore. I highly recommend that all runners sign up for this great race."
- Joe Russell
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for The Big Chill! Please check back in Fall 2020 for more information regarding volunteer opportunities for this event.
This event is almost as much for the spectators as it is for the runners! Check back in Fall 2020 for more information.
Victoria Partridge | Director of Communications
Communities In Schools of Mid-America
Emporia Office | 618 Commercial Street
Emporia, KS 66801